Thursday, October 6, 2011

Inspiration Notebook

After the class discussion on how to analyze a sample from your inspiration notebook, please write your analysis here on our blog.

You need to use proper English (no chatting lingo, use appropriate capitalization and punctuation). Please remember you are representing our class and school!

Sign your analysis with your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL only!

Thank you,
Mrs. Sheldon

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the items I have recently put in my inspiration Notebook is a piece of denim and lace fabric. This piece of fabric is significant in several ways to my personal and professional life as a designer.

On a personal level, this fabric holds special memories from my high school and college years. This personal meaning was the initial reason I was drawn to the fabric.

As I continued to study the fabric, I was drawn to the juxtaposition of the denim and lace fabric. Denim, often thought of as a tough and enduring fabric, is often connected with men. Lace, on the other hand, is very feminine and fragile. I think it’s very interesting to have these two very different types of fabric linked together.

In addition to the interesting combination of the two fabrics, I really enjoy the textures of this sample. I could easily see myself scanning this piece of fabric to use as a background for a design, or at least use it as a reference point when designing backgrounds. The texture of the grain of the denim fabric is interesting, and could be useful as a reference.

The pattern in the lace is intricate, and could also be scanned and/or used as a reference point when designing a textured background. I also find the detail of the hem along the top very interesting. The repeated pattern (rhythm) of the stitch could be used as a digital frame for photos, or as a border.

The placement of two different fabrics together can hold other meaning. In life, oftentimes we are at odds with opposing forces -- whether it be in school, work, or our personal lives -- this piece of fabric could represent how the opposing forces can be unified. This can remind us to work together and perhaps create a result that is unexpected, yet inspirational!Inspiration

-Sandi S.

Anonymous said...

An item i recently put in my inspirational notebook was a yellow feather. i found this feather in the arts and crafts cupboard in the back of the Viscom room.
The yellow feather really inspires me because of its color. The color yellow really makes everyone feel happy and joyful. Yellow stands out to me because in my eyes it means to be nice and care about the peers in your surroundings.
In visual communications a yellow feather could inspire people to design something that would make other people happy. The yellow feather i chose could inspire me to make some kind of photographic picture that would be black and white but only the feather would be the original color.
-jacob m

Anonymous said...

A drawing that was recently drawn in my inspiration notebook makes me think of my friends. Sometimes people are not nice to each other and don't appreciate them being there.
Without my friends I would never get through my days. When people are mean to my friends I stand behind them like I know they would do to me. The drawing reminds me that being nice and appreciating what you have is something that you should do everyday.
On the day that I had drawn this, I made a smaller sticky note to give to one of my best friends who is very kind, and generous. He does things for me and others. Without him in my classes, he would not remind me everyday to be nicer and appreciate what is there.

-Angela B.

Anonymous said...

I am inspired by a picture of a blue dragon, it inspires me because when I look at the picture I see strength, and it brings me back to when I was little and used to pretend to be things or pretend to do things which were my favorite time of my year cause when I look back to my child days I feel warm and happy! And could help me learn how to draw better
Anthony F.

Anonymous said...

i like the whole idea that we have a notebook we can put anything in that we feel inspired by. I'm always inspired by music poems superheroes and strange bizarre things. one thing i don't like though is writing 3 paragraphs about it i love writing but im not a criticizing type of person to my or any ones art works because in my opinion an artist gets better by himself not by other peoples thinking. when i draw or design it all gos into my head i cant explain it but other then that i think it will help the class alot with all of their artwork.Darien G

Anonymous said...

One of the items i put in my in my Inspirational Notebook is a Mass effect picture. The picture is special to me, because i think it's one of the greatest games i have ever played.

This is a picture of Commander Shepard, the main character in the story. Commander Shepard's stance in this picture, shows that he's a leader. A leader is something, i want to be.

The reason this picture appeals to me, is because Shepard's a hero. He saved everyone, from the end of the world. To do good, and save people, is something I've always wanted to do.
Casey B

Anonymous said...

One of the sketches that I chose to use in my inspiration notebook was special to me because of the work i put into it. This sketch is what i would call a city scape. On a personal level this sketch means a lot to me because of the contented feeling i feel when i draw such images.
This sketch inspires me because of the depth the clustering of a city yet with a lone church emphasizing that there is more to life than the daily routine of life. If one were to study this sketch they would notice the depth and reality of the picture.
Joe S.

Anonymous said...

Phillip Rivers repersents Danny Fouts a Legendary Chargers Quarterback. He also reminds me of my early childhood and when i used to live in California. The San Diego Chargers are my favorite football team and sports inn general. It was also in my hometown and reminds me of the big city lights. Phil Rivers is the Best Quarterback in the whole NFL for Two Years Straight. The Chargers we're the home in my ever live football game and i went with my dad and my brother Brandon. The San Diego Chargers have the longest NFL Football Game in the USA. My Family has a Tradition that my whole family goes one's house and watch Sunday Night Football. All of my Dreams and wants came from the Golden State of California. The in San Diego can really do the amazingest things and then people will notice. Barnes B

Anonymous said...

Silhouettes

The other day I was looking through photos on photsig.com. I saw these amazing silhouette photos, they looked awesome.

The colorful background and then the black image, it's just interesting. It's something to do with the inability to see a face, or a definite texture of ones clothes, or an animals fur; that makes you feel almost apart of it. Because you get to imagine the rest.

The fact that there isn't a face or distinct figure makes you think about it more. A lot of them conveyed freedom and high energy. Someone jumping in the air, dancing, singing, a football player.

Since you don't see facial expressions the silhouette reflects the emotion by the figures body language, or the colors in the background, or the bits of light that they add to the photo.

I really, really want to take some silhouette shots now.

-Tasha L

Anonymous said...

What I drew in my inspiration notebook makes me miss traveling in my dads truck. When ever I was with him in the truck, I felt stronger and I thought that I was better then everyone. My drawing shows, in my opinion, aggression and power through shading and perspective.
My drawing inspires me to show power and take control. Even though the drawing is not in color, it still shows a lot of personality.
-Troy P.

Anonymous said...

the first drawing i put in my inspiration notebook was a picture of a cartoon vegie. The picture makes me happy and also makes me smile. When i'm having a bad day i like to draw these pictures to bring up my mood. I used several colors in this picture. The colors are very bright happy in my eyes.
-chauntel

Anonymous said...

I drew the Ny Giants symbol. I drew it not just because I am of a fan of them. When I think about Ny Giants. I think of family. I think of lazy sunday days just relaxing and huddled around the people in my family. When Sunday comes along I get a smile on my face I feel like after a busy long week my family is united once again for a couple of hours. At a design level a lot of the teams are interesting just to look a their logos. I might not use a particular logo but it might give me an idea for a future or upcoming project. Lastly I know I have something to look forward to every Sunday.
Sal C.

Anonymous said...

What I put in my inspirational a drawing that I drew. It is of someone standing in front of a city and fire balls are raining down on the city destroying it. the person is a outcast which she is shunned from a higher world. The fire balls are fallen angels that are other outcasts that are coming together to show that you can't hurt them not matter what. It shows that even when people try to bring them down they still stand up ready for round two.
Laura B.

Anonymous said...

I choose a group of electric guitars because because music is what inspires me in life. When i play a series of chords together i get lost in the music and i feel like their is nothing in the world that could stop me from expressing how i feel. Playing guitar is how i unwind after a hard day at school or whatever I'm doing because the feeling of letting everything go at once is amazing. If I'm in one mood my guitar is in the same mood. I simply love guitar, it is my inspiration.
Damion M.

Anonymous said...

The item I recently added to my inspirational notebook has a great meaning to me. When I was younger I always went to car shows with my dad, and seeing the old classic cars was astounding. My dad and I always bonded and had a great relationship when it came to things like this. My favorite car too look at was the 68' mustang. I like how the structure is different from all the other cars and how fast they went amazed me. I like how this car is different because it is unique and it stands out, just like me. I don't like to be like everybody else and get the same things. Being how unique I am, I feel like i could do some great things in life as a contractor.
Devon P.

Anonymous said...

The object that inspired me, was something we see every day and that object was a leaf. I looked at this one object because I am so amazed on how much art we have in this world that we don't even realize, and i decided to make that object my focal point. The reason why I chose a leaf is because, when I hear leave rustling because it relaxes me. The smell and everything brings back good memories in my life and makes bad times, good times.
Colton Y.

Anonymous said...

I choose the date 9/13/95 this was the date when i was hospitalized with a failed liver, three mouths later the doctors said if i didn't get a new liver soon i would die, so my mother made the choose to under-go surgery whit me and give me her liver and save my life. And to this day my mother and me have matching scars on out stomachs, so my mother is my inspiration <3 Michael Y.

Anonymous said...

My first picture is a pair of dance shoes.Dance inspires me. I have danced for eight years, but I had to quit, because of money wise. Its sad that I had to quit because I really love to dance. Now this year I get to sit in the crowd and watch the dance recital:(

Anonymous said...

I drew a picture with my eraser of a night scene with the moon, the stars, and a tree. I shaded the page to show the dark sky and erased out the other objects as if the moon is illuminating them.

There was no real purpose to drawing this other than for an assignment. I don't feel that inspiration can be forced in a minute but something that is thought of completely out of free will.

This might have been brought forward in my mind by my preference of night versus daytime and how the night holds more mystery than day. The whole world seems to be a different place art night because of how we view it.
Michael G.

David Sheldon said...

The first item I have drawn into my inspiration Notebook is a sketch of an eye looking to the sky with a long scar going down the middle. This sketch is significant and symbolic for my personal and professional life as a graphic designer.

On a professional level, I use this symbolic drawing to inspire myself to show depth and meaning within my designs and pictures. When I do not think the image I'm working on it not good enough, like I'm not sure what to do, I look to this drawing and become inspired to think harder and more creatively to give the image exactly the depth and meaning it would need to grab the attention of everyone who saw it and would make them walk away thinking about the meaning behind the picture.

On a personal note, I have always had a fascination with drawing eyes. It is hard to explain why I love drawing eyes so much, I just love it. It has been said that the eyes are the windows to the soul. I personally believe this statement is very true. When someone looks into the eyes of another person, they can tell a lot about what the person is like. Some eyes can appear happy, carefree, and loving. Some can appear depressed, lonely, unhappy, and in conflict. There are eyes that can even appear to be intense, cold, dangerous, dark, deep, deadly, and piercing (as in they pierce right through you and, in a way, hurt you with the gaze). Eyes can say so much about a person without ever saying anything.

On an even more personal level, the drawing represents a deep meaning to me. Throughout my life I've been complimented on how beautiful my eyes are and that they almost always seem happy. The problem is, they do not look hard enough to see that my eyes are not entirely happy. As I mentioned before, the eyes are the windows to the soul. If this statement were true, then someone would see that my eyes show pain. The scar going through the eye is my way of showing that the soul has been damaged and scarred. Each scar has it's own history, it's own unique way of being there, and how it was put there.

This drawing can teach people that even though someone has healed physically, emotionally, and mentally, there is still a permanent scar on a person's soul. One that can never be erased. The drawing would teach people not to inflict harm upon each other; to love, respect, and have no conflict between them.

Anonymous said...

I chose the band Symphony X. I love this band because every member is absolutely incredible. Some music is just catchy with lame lyrics. But this band has fantastic lyrics, and an additive sound of course. I like this band because the music itself is an inspiration, and the songs can take your mind on an adventure. The singer Russel Allen, has damn near perfect vocals. As well for the rest of the group being astounding at what they do. I went to one of their concerts back in 07' with my father and my friend Cory and his father. It was a fantastically incredible concert! And everytime i listen to this band it even brings back memories of when Cory and i would listen to them. I will probably listen to this band for a very long time to come.

Anonymous said...

I chose a picture of my favorite band Asking Alexandria, i chose this picture because music is what inspires my life it can bring up my mood and it can calm me down. I use music to bring back old memories and to forget the ones that i do not want to remember. Music is my life.
Dylan H.

Anonymous said...

Winter Guard inspires me because my aunt was in it when she was younger, and me and my aunt are very close. Untill she moved out of state. My aunt and I have alot in common thats why i love guard so much. Winter Guard and Photography are in common because Winter Guard will teach me how to take photos faster. It also makes me learn faster.
Sierra R.

Anonymous said...

one drawing i put in my inspiration notebook is a drawing of a strange flower that's alone and cold surrounded by water.on the petal of the flower is a small figure with wings weeping because thats his favorite flower in the whole garden and it was about to die. it reminds me of listing to my music when my grandfather died because that's what we shared together was music.when my grandfather died i cried and cried and cried. but what gave me hope about my grandfather was the music. the music helped me feel as if he was still here and that i shouldn't cry.just like this flower. it'll grow back in the spring, and that's the figures hope for the flower.darien g

Anonymous said...

The Item Ive Chosen Is The Word "Art" I Drew In Middle School. When I Was In Middle School I Got Really Sick.. Art Helped Me, Inspired Me To Get Better On A Professional And Person Level As A Designer.

Art Influences All And Is Different To Everyone. Art Influences Art

The Word "Art" Is Drawn In Rainbow, Because All Art Is Different. Art Like Myself Is Different.

-Whitec

Anonymous said...

Broken Past.
The wind blowing hard against my cold ice weak body, my heart pounding as hard as the thunder in the rain, pain escaping my dried throat in a screaming echo. Misery the only friend I have. Blood quenching my thirst and hunger. Judgment around the world, whispered comments, but they don't know me no one does. They don't know that I've been abused physically, emotionally and sexually. They don't know the pain I've been through, but I'm stronger then they think. I won't be broken by screamed thoughts of others screaching in my eyes, pounding in my empty delusional head. I maybe insane but you better believe I'm not giving up. Cuz' to you I'm just a stranger, but to me I'm the nightmare that haunts my worst fears.
Analysis: The reason I wrote this poem was its a symbol of my past, something I run away from. Having been raped at age 7 by my brother and beaten by my step dad wasn't exactly my idea of a perfect world. All the words in this poem are the uncovered feelings that I hold back daily, something some day I'll face but for now I just want to be in my own space. I used to think about suicide and how everything was my fault, but I realized that even if its not my fault I can still be the one to be strong and fight against my problems that's what the last line in this poem stands for. Being bullied and picked on as a kid is expressed in my poem as the judgmental and whispered comments. This poem all together explains my emotion of my every day life. My life is effected in other ways because I feel like I'm a failure because I've been told that my whole life, I don't know how to move past it but for now that okay. For now I'm taking it one step at a time.
~Deanna K.

Anonymous said...

"Try hard, Swim fast, Have fun"
This is something that my dad has always told me since i was six years old. I have been a swimmer since then. It means a lot because if you are trying hard at something you love then you also should have fun. If your not having fun then why should you do it then? Even if i win or lose i have fun trying. This also helps me with other things as well. Like my job. If you don't like what your job is then your not going to try hard and your not having fun with it. And really it could be used for anything i do because if your not having fun then your not going to try. This saying also helps myself in Viscom as well because I love to try painting some pictures on the computer. Its not easy but i keep trying hard but i'm still having fun. When its something i don't like i don't try as hard at it because im not having fun...
~ Eliza H.

Anonymous said...

In my inspirational Notebook I drew some sort of animal made up of different parts from other animals like a panda, German Shepard, and a monkey. In its own way each animal represents a different emotion, the panda was a calmer emotion, the monkey was more of a tense aggressive twisted emotion, and the German Shepard was also an aggressive emotion. When I draw, I usually express my emotions or the feel of a current situation in my art, while I was drawing this animal I started to draw a panda to calm myself from a tense unpleasant situation which the drawing of my clam serene panda mutated into more of a description of the negative feelings my situation had brought. This technique could benefit me in class because although it my not make sense to anyone else it's my own way of working through mixed emotions and different types of problems weather it'd be a tough situation or finding the right design or elements for a project.

Heidi H.

Anonymous said...

What I put in my inspirational a drawing that I drew. It is of someone standing in front of a city and fire balls are raining down on the city destroying it. the person is a outcast which she is shunned from a higher world. The fire balls are fallen angels that are other outcasts that are coming together to show that you can't hurt them not matter what. It shows that even when people try to bring them down they still stand up ready for round two.

When I drew this I knew that I wanted it perfect and so that people could get the message of what I was saying. I kept at it drawing and shading until it came out the way I saw it and it came out perfect

This is inspiration for class because it shows me that I can do better and do anything if I put my mind to it and keep at it.

Laura B.

Anonymous said...

In my Inspiration Notebook I put a pic of the D,CMO BOCES sine just inside the front door of the school. I personally took and developed the pic in the dark room. the reason I took the pic was because BOCES has taught me every thing that I have learned about Graphic Design and about my future.I have hoped to go to college for Graphic Design and this class has pushed me into the right path. Wile I was in the dark room I learned how to judge the right amount of time to let the pic be exposed to the light and how to develop it.

Derrick T.

Anonymous said...

The object that inspired me, was something we see every day and that object was a leaf. I looked at this one object because I am so amazed on how much art we have in this world that we don't even realize, and i decided to make that object my focal point. The reason why I chose a leaf is because, when I hear leave rustling because it relaxes me. The smell and everything brings back good memories in my life and makes bad times, good times. This will help me in viscom because I can be inspired by the smallest thing heck a rock inspires me.
Colton Y.

Anonymous said...

a web from a spider is what I'm choosing to be my inspirational object. this web is significant because of the intracaite designe and the time the spider took to create it.
the web i chose is in a circlular pattern laced together by small simple threads of spider silk which is colored a dull white. When i seen this web it was early in the morning and it had small drops of clear dew upon it.
-Danny M.

Anonymous said...

For my inspirational notebook I put a picture of the person who inspires me the most, A picture of Joe Budden. Joe Budden is an underground rap artist, but he is nothing like what you would hear on the radio.

The way that Joe words his lyrics amazes me, He can paint the most vivid picture in your mind without doing anything but speaking to you.

Joey puts everything I can't explain into words, He helps me get through my day-to-day life because i can relate to him and what he has been through.
He shows me that everything happens for a reason, and in the end that everything will fall into place, that all the bad things that has happened in your life was to prepare you.

When i dont have anybody to talk to, I can always listen to Joe and feel as if somebody is there for me and has been through the same troubles that i go through. He takes my pain, and turns it into strength, guiding me through life.
He helps me to keep moving foward when I dont have a leg to stand on.

~Darren.W~

Anonymous said...

The things that inspire me is music one of my favorite bands is Slipknot. I choose Slipknot because the music has a soothing texture it calms me down when I am upset its a mystery how it works. But the reason why I think it affects me so much is because I wish I had musical talent and I don't to fail so I can pursue my dream as a musician. That also reminds me of my brother- in- law band he plays drums but he also can play electric, acoustic, and bass guitar.
The masks that slipknot has represents is their hidden identities and it keeps you wondering whats gonna happen next. There music shows power and emotions through their instruments. I like the masks because i’m usually out of the way and hidden away. The slipknot picture relates to this class because I want to be a game designer and also a musician. With the interests in a darker kind of music can make the detail in the game more enhanced and the graphics are more serious. Ricky

Anonymous said...

One item that I have just recently placed in my inspirational notebook is a black and red sticker from the movie Zombieland. This particular sticker has a great amount of significance in many various ways that are related to both my personal and professional life as a graphic designer.
On a personal level, this sticker reminds me of times when I was either strong or wise and symbolizes what i stand for as well as what I don't put up with.
Besides the awesome red and black color that this sticker had, I liked it also for it's font, which reminded me of those cop shows you see on Thursday at four in the afternoon, or the ones they mentioned in the movie "Step-Brothers '. JimiV

Anonymous said...

One of the items i put in my inspirational notebook is the call of duty game cover. I love to play video games, its sort of my thing. I think that the game represents war and the dark of nature of humanity, but also having fun. When i'm in a bad mood , video games put me in a good mood.
The reason i put this in my notebook was because the games are my daily thing. In my opinion they help people level out their emotions and ideas. Also i think it makes people get away from the stress of life. Peter C.

Anonymous said...

An item I recently put in my inspirational notebook was a yellow feather. I found this feather in the arts and crafts cupboard in the back of the Viscom room.
The yellow feather really inspires Me because of its color. The color yellow really makes everyone feel happy and joyful. Yellow stands out to Me because in my eyes it means to be nice and care about the peers in your surroundings.
In visual communications a yellow feather could inspire people to design something that would make other people happy. The yellow feather I chose could inspire me to make some kind of photographic picture that would be black and white but only the feather would be the original color.
-Jacob M

Anonymous said...

Phillip Rivers repersents Danny Fouts a Legendary Chargers Quarterback. He also reminds me of my early childhood and when I used to live in California. The San Diego Chargers are my favorite football team and sports inn general. It was also in my hometown and reminds me of the big city lights. Phil Rivers is the Best Quarterback in the whole NFL for Two Years Straight. The Chargers we're the home in my ever live football game and I went with my dad and my brother Brandon. The San Diego Chargers have the longest NFL Football Game in the USA. My Family has a Tradition that my whole family goes one's house and watch Sunday Night Football. All of my Dreams and wants came from the Golden State of California. The in San Diego can really do the amazingest things and then people will notice. Before i was in New York I was always outside. I went to the beach and I went body surfing and swimming in the very cold water. Barnes L